Why Do You Need To Drink Water? How Much Water Do You Really Need?

Ahh, water. Why do I even need water? How much should I be drinking?  I've always had a love/hate relationship with water growing up. It tasted like, well, nothing. I wanted something with flavor. I remember only really enjoying water when I was dehydrated or exhausted and I got to experience the true benefits of H2O.

But why do we need to drink water?

Did you know that water, besides hydrating you, also provides you with energy and helps to speed up your metabolism?  True story, bro!

If you're not a big fan of water (I know I wasn't years ago, that has since changed), drop in a lemon wedge or a low calorie pack of artificial flavoring. If it's taste you're looking for, these can help with those urges, calm your taste buds, and still provide you with the hydration your body needs.

How to make sure you get enough water...

Keep a bottle of water on your night-stand by your bed. Not only will this become very beneficial in the middle of the night when you wake up dehydrated, but it will help establish a habit of drinking water first thing in the morning. Having water by your bed will more than likely help with a routine of starting off your day with guilt free, calorie free H2O!

Work at a desk? Keep a bottle of water within arm's reach. This can help kick the habit of heading to the soda machine when you're thirsty. This tip not only saves you extra, unneeded calories, but it also encourages the habit of sipping water throughout the day!

Drink alcohol or caffeine?  Heed this advice...

Bottom line-- alcohol and caffeine dehydrate the body. If you're a big alcohol or caffeine drinker, a great rule to live by is for every glass of soda or alcohol, drink a glass of water. This will help negate the effects
Why do I even need to drink water?

When your body is properly hydrated, its potential for burning fat is increased, which burns more calories. You also burn energy more efficiently when hydrated, which means that you'll have better (and longer!) workouts.

Tired? Drink more water.  Dehydration can actually result in fatigue and loss of coordination. Among other things, dizziness and light-headed fatigue are signs of dehydration.
I absolutely refuse to drink water. I hate it.

Alright, so I can't convince you to drink water no matter what the health benefits are!  Luckily there are other fluids out there.  The bottom line is hydrating your body, no matter what, right?

Mix juice and water.  Try to make the ratio with the least amount of juice as possible. Mixing water with your juice will result in less sugar and less calories being consumed.

Decaffeinated iced tea. If you can forego the sugar, even better!

Skim milk.  A smaller glass of skim milk contains about 80 calories, zero fat, and decent amounts of protein & calcium.

How much water should I be drinking?

This has been a debatable topic by experts for YEARS! I'm going to give you two rules of thumb and you can choose which one best suits you:

Drink eight 8 ounce glasses per day.  We've all heard this one. It works.

Another one I've heard recently from a good friend, and fellow fitness professional, is to drink half your weight in ounces.  For example, a 200 lb man would drink 100 ounces of water per day.


Either way, just limit or completely cut your calories from drinking. I always tell my clients to never ever drink their calories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment