When Should I Stretch? Before Or After My Workout?




Is stretching important?...

Intuitively, we can all agree that stretching is a good thing to do. However, one of the most common questions I receive is "When should I stretch?".

Stretching is not only important for range of motion, but also helps blood flow and flexibility. According to the Mayo Clinic, stretching also helps to relieve stress.

This is the first image when I did a google search for "stretch."
For most, stretching before exercise has been standard-- however, implementing a stretching routine after your workout can be beneficial for injury prevention and soreness associated with resistance training.

Should I stretch before my workout?...


Stretching before your workout can be dangerous for you, believe it or not. Stretching muscles that are not warmed up can lead to strains or pulls.

A light stretch of your bigger muscle groups after a warmup can be considered okay, but keep in mind that it will significantly lower your heart rate. This is important to consider if your main goal is calorie burning and/or weight loss.

1 comment:

  1. I stretch when I wake up in the morning.

    ReplyDelete