Top 3 Ways To Impress Your Personal Trainer (And Top 3 Ways To Anger Him!)



In this industry, I have gotten every excuse in the universe as a reason for a missed session.  Although most reasons for a missed session are legit, I just can't help but second guess it when a client calls out because their favorite TV show comes on during the scheduled session.  Next time, get TiVo--because I'm coming and you're working out!

If you ever decide to hire a personal trainer, I'm going to give you a head start!  This is my definitive list of the top 3 ways to impress your trainer, then my top 3 ways to PISS US OFF!

Top 3 ways to impress your personal trainer:

  • Being prompt, on time, and dressed to workout-  Nothing says "I'm taking this seriously" like you being up, ready to go, without any distractions.  I show up to your home and you're ready to go as soon as I unload the equipment.  I can't count the number of times a client is just getting out of bed when I'm ringing the doorbell.  While I wait on you shower and dress, it's cutting into our valuable session workout time.  Showing up early will allow us to get more out of the session and allow you to progress at a much faster pace.
  •  Fill out your food journal every single day-  I don't just ask you to fill out a food journal for something that I can skim over.  If you put effort into a food journal, I can more accurately diagnose where we need to focus our effort on.  If I have no idea how many calories you were taking in before-hand, it will be much more difficult to pinpoint a calorie deficit for your diet plan.
  • Be honest with your personal trainer.  If you missed a day of cardio, lying to your trainer does absolutely nothing besides getting the subject changed quickly.  You're not trying to impress me, you're doing this for you!  Be honest with YOURSELF.  If you can be honest with me and tell me that you're not eating right or that you're not doing what you're supposed to on your own time, then it will help you out in the long-run.  I can then accurately help you figure out what's keeping you from reaching your goals.  If I don't know that anything's wrong, I can't help you fix it.
Are you ready for what NOT to do around your personal trainer?  Ready or not, here it is:

Top 3 ways to NOT impress your personal trainer:

  • Calling out/cancelling your session for a ridiculous reason-  I've heard every excuse in the book.  One thing about me is that I'm not gullible.  I am generally a good judge of character, I can tell when I'm being lied to.  However, it's one thing when you're being totally honest with me about why you can't make your session, but it's another when you're being honest and the reason is absolutely absurd.  The best excuse I've ever gotten is, "I ran out of printer paper".  That's it.  No explanation other than somehow, a lack of printer paper relates to the fact that we have to miss our exercise session.  I've heard 'em all:  "I don't feel like it", "My house is dirty", "I need to go to the grocery store". 
  • Not doing what you're supposed to on your own time.  Let's be honest, not everyone can afford a personal trainer 7 days a week.  However, knowing that you only meet with your trainer 1 to 3 times per week should be enough of an incentive for you to put as much effort as you can into your "off-days", or the days you don't have a trainer.  One thing that makes my blood boil is when a client tells me that they aren't getting the results that they want-- when they aren't filling out their food journal like they're supposed to, doing ANY exercise on their off days, or eating healthy.  Unfortunately, I can't take responsibility for what you do when I'm not there-- nor will I take the blame for your goals not being met because you refuse to commit yourself.  I will motivate you, provide every single tool possible to make sure you succeed, and be there whenever you have a question.  But you have to take accountability for yourself!
  • No-showing a session or canceling at the last possible minute.  This has only happened a handful of times, but there are better ways to communicate with another person.  Yes, this is a business.  But this is a personable business.  I'm taking time out of the day, gasoline, and putting wear and tear on my car to drive all the way to your home.  If you decide that you're not ready for the personal training commitment, pretending you're not home and not answering the door is not the way to address it.  You're not a child.  You're an adult.  If you make the decision that you're not mentally ready to commit to a healthy lifestyle, don't waste your time or mine!  This is, unfortunately, the reason that I've instituted a 24 hour cancellation policy.  If you no-show, you pay for it anyway.  I hate doing this, but this is a business.  99% act responsibly, it only takes a small few to have policies like this instituted.
It's amazing the reasons we can come up with to justify not bettering ourselves.  If you can rationalize to yourself why you shouldn't have a healthy lifestyle, there's no telling what you get away with in your other life decisions!  Self accountability, personal responsibility, and sticking to your plans is what it takes.  Make your goals, then achieve them.

Until next time, I'm going to go watch TV because I don't feel like working out.

What?  Don't judge me!  I worked out this morning.

Now get to work!

Justin Bowers is the owner of BeFit In-Home Personal Training of Greenville, SC.  You can contact Justin via the following methods, by following on Facebook, e-mail, or Twitter:

E-mail: Justin@BeFitOnline.com

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you Justin! As a client I promise to never do anything to "piss you off", lol!

    ReplyDelete