Guest Post: 20% That Will Guarantee Your Success

A few months ago, I had the pleasure of Jay Handler obtaining my personal training services.  Jay has not only made leaps and bounds in his fitness endeavors, but he's also persevered in the business marketing category.  When Jay asked to provide me with a guest post, I told him that it would be my pleasure.  


Below the article is Jay's contact information.  I highly suggest you connect with him on one or more of the resources provided below!

20% That Will GUARANTEE Your Success!


Are you familiar with the Pareto Principle?  How about the 80/20 rule?  Chances are you’ve heard of it, but you don’t REALLY know what it means.  I’m going to let you in on the secret that most successful people are using every day to GUARANTEE their success!

The Pareto Principle basically states that in EVERY aspect of your life, 80% of the GOOD STUFF comes from 20% of your efforts…80% of the JOY comes from 20% of the people around you…80% of the HEADACHES come from 20% of your life.  You get the point.  So, what do you DO with the information?  Let’s start with an example.

Our mutual friend Justin Bowers offers a FREE weight loss boot camp every Wednesday morning.  To date, 32 people have signed up online to “take the challenge”.  Guess how many people showed up today to brave a little bit of a drizzle and 58 degree weather!  If you guessed 20%...you’d be DEAD ON!  In fact, I bet that if you asked him, Justin would tell you that roughly 80% of his referrals come from about 20% of his clients, that 80% of his revenue comes from about 20% of his base who stay with him and work consistently towards their own goals, and 80% of his headaches (clients who no-show, complain, don’t pay on time, etc) come from the bottom 20% of his revenue-producers.

What should Justin do?  The Pareto Principle would tell him to focus on those 20%’ers out there that actually do the work and love him for pushing them!  In fact, Pareto would PROBABLY suggest he FIRE those clients that produce 80% of his headaches and 20% of his revenue so he can focus on finding and retaining those TOP 20% clients!  

Can you do the same thing in YOUR life?  ABSOLUTELY!  But it’s scary.  It’s scary to fire a client that’s bringing in SOME money just for the opportunity to make even more money with fewer problems.  If you get great new clients out of the deal, it was worth it…but you won’t know if you can do that until you try.  I billed over $1,000,000 in advertising sales in 2007 working for 107.3 WJMZ.  It had never been done before and hasn’t been done since (and won’t be for a LONG time)!  I did it because I fired those clients that weren’t WORTH my time and effort…and using the time THEY drained from me to go after my CORE TARGET!  The more junior salespeople thought I was CRAZY giving them my smaller clients, but I knew I’d be happier and have more time to do what I LOVED…helping folks that wanted my help!  And I made more money than I’ve ever made that year.

What can YOU do…RIGHT NOW…to put the 80/20 Rule into practice?  I challenge you to find examples of Pareto’s Principle in your life.  They’re EVERYWHERE!  When you find them, and take action to use the information to make you better, post a comment below and tell us what you did and how it worked.  You’ll be AMAZED at the stories you’ll hear…and hopefully at the stories you’ll TELL!

Jay@JayHandler.com
864.939.8398

6 comments:

  1. i apply this principle to my business. thanks justin for the continue inspiration and thanks jay for the great guest post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how the guest author applies his message to tie into Justin's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great guest post Jay! Justin, I didn't know you allowed others to do guest posts. Maybe I could write one for you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all your comments! I've been living the 80/20 rule for a very long time, and I can assure you IT WORKS!

    Thanks for letting me hijack your blog for a few minutes, Justin!

    See you soon...

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wait. THAT'S my problem! I've been living by the 20/80 rule. No wonder it wasn't quite working out.

    Good post.

    Having met Justin IRL, I'm impressed with him passion to help people make the big changes they really want to make, but just have trouble making.

    ReplyDelete