What Is Tabata HIIT Training And How Can You Lose Tons Of Weight Using It?



HIIT is an acronym for High Intensity Interval Training.  People of all different fitness levels use HIIT in their workout programs.  HIIT is great for challenging your cardio-respiratory system, your endurance levels, and building muscle mass.  Did I mention that it's one of the best routines for dropping weight quickly?

Before you engage in any high intensity program, please consult with your doctor or physician.  This program is not for the faint of heart.  Please attempt this at your own risk.  Be safe, but challenge yourself!

I have been experimenting with different types of HIIT not only with my own workouts, but also with my clients.  More specifically, I have been using a more unique version of HIIT known as Tabata training.

This protocol was developed by a Japanese physician by the name of... you guessed it... Tabata.  Tabata training consists of 8 intervals of 20 seconds each, with 10 seconds of rest in between.  Generally you would warm up for 5 minutes before, then cool down for five minutes afterward.  This brings the total to 14 minutes.  Not too shabby!

Don't let the time-frame fool you.  If you do it right, you'll barely be able to get through all eight intervals.  It's tough but exhilarating as well.  You will see fitness gains like none other, especially if you've never done any type of high intensity interval training before.

You can use Tabata training to apply to almost any exercise.  Sprinting, jump squats, boxing, biking, etc.  I use it mostly for sprinting.  I sprint as fast as I can for 20 seconds, then rest at the mandatory 10 second rest period.  At the end of the four minute round, I'm exhausted!

As a treat to you, my readers, I've attached a link to download a free mp3 file specifically for Tabata HIIT training.  It is exactly four minutes long, the length of a "round".  Using a text to speech program, it counts down the exact seconds so you can time the intervals perfectly.  The reason this is so great is that you don't have to time yourself or look at a stopwatch every few seconds.  Download this mp3, load it onto your mp3 player or iPod, and do the workout!  You can download the mp3 file by clicking here.

If you're computer inclined, feel free to overlay this onto your favorite workout song.  If you're not familiar with how to do this, there is a great piece of software known as Audacity that has the capabilities to do such a thing.  I personally use it without the music.

Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. I was first introduced to Tabata during a Boxing Circuit class I took. The guy holding the class is a CPT and is very intense. I really like Tabata and really appreciated the 10 second rests in between. And yes, even though it's only 8 intervals I found myself getting tired 1/2 way through when you're giving each interval your all. Thanks for posting the mp3 download!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many days a week should one be doing this type of workout?

    ReplyDelete