Confessions Of A Fitness Trainer: Why I Owe My Clients An Apology



Firstly, this isn't an easy thing to do. I have been working with my clients in the comfort of their own homes for a while and I've grown comfortable around them as I hope they've done the same with me. One practice I've always kept in play is keeping my client happy, no matter what it takes. When a client called out with a lackluster excuse (i.e., "I don't feel like working out tonight), I told them to feel better and I'd see them during their next session.

During a session, if a client were to get exhausted during a set, I'd let them take a break until they were ready. I was always encouraging, but never really pushed that person to what I thought they were capable of. In the past few months, I've come to the realization that this will not fly. I am no longer the "nice" personal trainer. I'm not lenient.

Why this sudden change of heart?

Because I got sick of the excuses. I got tired of call-outs just minutes before I was supposed to be at that client's home. No more. I am no longer sugar coating anything. I suddenly realized that I need to do my job to the fullest of my abilities. Don't get me wrong, my client always got a great workout, but I knew that I could get so much more out of them. Where was my main weakness?

It was when I left their home and left them on their own.

Without me over their shoulder, they might tend to slip on their diet or just skip their workout altogether. Since I cannot be over their shoulder 24/7, I've started calling all of my clients or texting them almost every single day. This is just a small change, but it's really taken off. Because my clients know that I've taken the time out of my busy day to check on them, it's somehow kicked them into gear to actually attempt to workout on their own. I truly care about their fitness goals and because I'm putting forth the effort to let them know that, they're returning the favor by staying on the ball and doing what I ask of them.

When a client calls out the same day of a session, I do my best to try to talk them into not canceling. Not only is it professional courtesy to not call out the day of, it's also a step-back in what their initial goal in hiring me was. If you only have to work out with me one to two days a week and you call out one of those, what makes you possibly think you can keep this up long-term?

This is where I come in. I talk you into working out that day. When I get to your home and you don't feel like working out, it's my job to motivate you. If I can instill into your mind the importance of fitness in your daily life, maybe it will become a priority in your life. This is why I do what I do. This is why I'm tough.

I will admit that I do have clients that have been tough to adjust to someone asking them every other day if they're doing what they're supposed to. I will also admit that it's not my job to make you like me. It's not my job to make you my friend. You didn't hire me to stand around and talk. You hired me to get you the body that you didn't think you could get on your own. You hire me because I get the results, no matter how much you don't like me.

Like I tell my clients, you may not like me-- but you'll love the results.

Think about this if you're ever in the market for a personal trainer. Besides making sure they have the experience, the professionalism, and the credentials, make sure that they also have the drive to push you to do what you wouldn't do otherwise. If your personal trainer is as forgiving of you not working out as you are, maybe it's time to look elsewhere for fitness assistance.

I push my clients beyond what they think they're capable of, but I don't push them beyond their breaking point. As a trained fitness professional, I look out for the signs of over-exertion. I still practice safe training procedures, such as keeping my client hydrated the entire time. But I do not accept excuses as easily as I once did.

Maybe it's time you took the same initiative that I did. You'll be amazed at the results if you just stick to your guns. Here's to your fitness success!

1 comment:

  1. I thought you were going to apologize for something entirely different. 8-)

    ReplyDelete